Old 29-07-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Moles

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:15:10 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

I think I have the final solution. I am digging into the ground a
barrier of old corrugated iron sheet. I'm going down about 18". I do
one sheet a day, working my way round the plot.

Now, just got to get rid of the little *******s I have fenced in
though. Grrrr.

I had my first experience of the mole fraternity when I bought my
present house - then a new build on old farmland (at least what became
my back garden was a chicken run in its previous incarnation - lovely
soil!). Anyhow, the garden came with what I assumed were the resident
moles (plural). After a few weeks of trying mole smokes (b****y
useless apart from the fun of watching plumes of smoke erupting all
over the grass (the entire back garden was grass - couldn't call it a
lawn)), a wise old sage educated me to the fact that I probably only
had one mole - they're territorial blighters. On his advice I bought
one of those spring caliper trap things and located it, suitably
primed, in one of the runs. Next day I'd caught a mole. Dead as a
dodo.

Since catching that mole (singular) I've never had a mole problem. The
only moles I see now are the ones the cat brings back, dead, from the
farm next door. He only brings them back because he gets a cat treat
in exchange for the carcass. Intelligent cat!

Meanwhile, the mole hills became the plan for the garden. But that's
another story.

Still, if you manage to catch one, bury the bugger alive. That'll
teach him! ;-))

Jake

http://www.rivendell.org.uk coming soon