Old 29-07-2010, 10:34 PM posted to alt.bread.recipes,uk.rec.gardening
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default Psssttt...wanna buy a courgette?

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Lovely, large and tasty.
Very very healthy.
Special offer.

Tell you what, squire, do you two for one.

Cutting me own throat, but how about three for one?

Look, look.....free sample, how about that?

Ha ha.. know how you feel.

Courgette bread will use at least some of them. Freezes really well too. A
fine savoury crusty bread with an unusual pale green crumb - very showy for
light lunches, toasts and sandwiches. Non english-speakers call it zuccini
bread.

You will find a few recipes if you google but I will tell you how I think it
is best made:

Raw courgette to retain the maximum nutrition and flavour, and to cut out
any fussy pre cooking. Minimum water and maximum veg, because the courgette
is never going to be an overwhelming flavour and you want to use them up.
The ingredients of basic white bread are flour , water, yeast and salt. All
we are doing is replacing as much of the water as we can with raw courgette
pulp. Makes one large or two small loaves.

Take at least 400g courgettes, wash, top and tail then finely grate in a
processor or by hand retaining all the juice. Put the bowl of your overhead
mixer on your scales and zero them. Weigh in 500g white bread flour. Add 1
tsp salt and 1 tsp fast acting yeast. Mix the dry ingredients with a spoon
and zero the scale again. Add 370g grated raw courgette and using the
mixer's dough hook begin to mix into a dough. Add water a tablespoon at a
time until it is all mixed together into a stiff bread dough. Leave it in
the bowl covered, to rise for a hour or two giving it a stir with a spatula
if it tries to climb out of the bowl. Turn the mixture (which now may be wet
and sticky)out onto a floured surface and fold or knead and divide and shape
into two small loaves. Place the loaves on a piece of baking parchment on a
baking sheet and sprinkle plenty of white flour on them. Leave the loaves to
rise for around 45mins, then slash the tops with a bread knife and bake at
200C for 30 mins. Cool on a rack.

For variations use a bit of lemon juice, add freshly ground black pepper,
finish the top with grated cheese instead of flour.

Tim W