Old 30-07-2010, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default teabags in compost

On 2010-07-28, Roy Bailey wrote:

In article , Ian B
writes

[snipped]

I started off putting my teabags in the compost- only to have to pick them
out again when it came to using it. I don't know whether it's all brands,
but PG Tips seem to be very resilient.

You should use proper teabags, like Taylor's Yorkshire tea.

PG Tips is for chimps!

I checked the article again. It specifically lists Clipper, PG Tips,
Tetley, Twinings, and Typhoo as using polypropylene, and Jacksons of
Piccadilly as being fully biodegradable.

Apart than that, it says folded & stapled bags are more likely to
break down in the compost.

I'm still curious about the advice to remove the staples. I remove
the tags from teabags but leave the strings and staples (this applies
mainly to fruity and herbal tea in our house), and I've never noticed
the staples in the output, or had any complaints from the worms. ;-)