Old 31-07-2010, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Apple Tree problems :-/

On 31 July, 19:09, Dave Hill wrote:
On 31 July, 18:55, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
"Donnie" wrote in message

Right, we chopped back the apple tree which had gone mad through lack
of pruning for about 5 years, so earlier this year it got severely
pruned back from having a 15 foot diameter spread to, well, basically
to the trunk as near as damn it. Why? because we had some work needed
doing including a large new workshop / shed etc but that's by the by.

So, over the last few months it's basically growing again lots of twigs
and leaves but we have a couple of problems with it that I have noticed
today.

1. where one of the larger diameter branches was cut (about 3 inches
diameter) there is a strange white fluff / lichen / something like in
the picture

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/gw02.jpg

Anyone know what this is and if there's a treatment if necessary?

2. There's loads of green bugs, I'm assuming aphids of some variety
like in the following 2 pics

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/gw04.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/gw03.jpg

Again, what can I do about them, I don't care if i have to use
pesticides if necessary but I guess I would rather not due to my
chickens / dog / kids

I don't think it's relevant but there's also quite a lot of ants up and
down the tree as there's a bit of an ants nest in the compost bin
nearby.

I have also noticed quite a few of these too which I believe will help
keep the aphids down too.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d3...dbobs/gw05.jpg

--

Far too severe, IMO. *You just cannot cut an apple tree back to the trunk.
who told you to do this, or was this your own idea?

Lets look at your problems first.
I. *Woolly aphid
2. Aphids

The ants are almost certainly milking the aphids so will protect then
to some extent from predators.
I would spray the whole tree with a good insecticide.
When you have cleaned up the pests then select the shoots you want to
grow on to get your tree back into some sort of shape, remove the
rest.
I very much doubt if the tree will die.
I've known people doing what you have done and cutting back all
branches to a couple of feet then grafting in other varieties of apple
onto the cut branches.
My old Dr in Hastings, many years ago had over 30 varieties on one
tree, and it cropped each year.
David Hill- Hide quoted text -

I should have added
Why not yse it as a support for a climbing rose whilst it is growing
back, should look good.
David Hill