Old 31-07-2010, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default question about insurance

In article ,
says...

Someone I know has a part time gardener who 'says' he can pruned her
wisteria and rambling roses.

As it's high up, she asked if he was insured, which he said he was.
However in the event of an accident (he'll be using her ladder and
tools) would he be able to claim on her insurance or indeed how do you
make sure he is insured (just in case)

IF he is insured, I would be very surprised if his insurer permitted
him to use clients high-risk tools. They would insist on him using his
own ladders and tools so there is no conflict of responsibility if it
breaks/causes an accident.

It's unlikely that your friend's domestic insurance, covers paid
employees. For instance,paid home helps and home carers are not
allowed to use clients stepladders in the clients home or garden because
the clients home insurance doesn't cover them.

The way to check if a prospective paid employee is insured is to ask
to see his cover note. I always do when I pay anyone to do roof work or
use a chainsaw. Genuine insured professionals will be very used to this
and happily produce it.

Janet