Old 31-07-2010, 09:54 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Christina Websell[_2_
Far too severe, IMO. You just cannot cut an apple tree back to the trunk.
who told you to do this, or was this your own idea?
:-(
I would be surprised if it doesn't die.
Tina
I'd b surprised if it did. Our very old Bramley was blown over in the 1987 storm. Since its roots were half out of the ground we assumed t was a goner, and as it completely blocked our garden, we cut off all the branches back to the trunk. But we never got around to dealing with the trunk, and next year it was re-shooting all over the place.

So yes,, it is possible to cut an apple tree right back to the trunk.

But it may take a few years to come back into fruiting.