Old 01-08-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans!

In article ,
mogga wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 22:47:10 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

I picked a whole four runner beans today!

I've had lots off the dwarf plants (french and runner things) but my
proper runners finally made it up the bean pole this week and have
started producing flowers so woohoo here too!

I have had a lot of flowers for a month now, but very few beans.
Phaseolus vulgaris (French beans etc.) will not set if very
short of water, but don't mind dry conditions. P. coccineus
(runner beans) needs both enough water AND higher humidity!
In very dry conditions (by UK standards), keeping runners well
watered will cause them to grow but not crop.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.