Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Problem with Venus Fly Trap

On 01/08/2010 18:48, Slainte wrote:
Hi,

I have a Venus fly trap (Dionaea Muscipula) plant - bought in Homebase. I
have been following the instructions on the label but it isn't thriving. So
far since I bought it one month ago I have had to remove a number of
leaves/shoots as they have turned black and apparently died. The
instructions say to keep it standing in approx 5mm of water and I have been
doing this. I have also tried it in bright sunlight and in the shade but it
still seems to be suffering.

I would dearly like to know why and what I can do to resolve the situation.

Many thanks,

Mo

Are you using tap water? They must have soft water or rain.

Mine are currently outside enjoying full sunshine. I'll bring them in
over Winter. I keep mine in pots with no holes in the bottom; this
allows the compost to remain damp / wet all the time. In fact sometimes
mine are submerged for a day or two when I get careless with the
watering can! I've had them several years now though, so must be doing
something right. Some older leaves will go black and die off, this is
normal. However, there should be new young green ones to replace them.
At some time or other you may find they put out flower spikes too -
these aren't very spectacular and can be cut off so the plants can put
more energy into growing.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.