Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default A stupid question

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote
How can you tell when a squash is ripe? Our plants are producing lots,
but as I am on my own and Ann only has a son with her, we don't want them
too big [next year we'll grow mini varieties] but don't want too pick them
before they are ready.

What exactly are you growing, that will determine the answer.
Butternut squash, for example, have to go as ripe as possible and then are
best stored for a few weeks in a warm dry place before being used. Some
summer squash are best used un-mature.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden