Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default question about insurance

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 01:09:54 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
wrote:

Granted Steve, you are right but the dumper is very rarely caught and
here in South Wales (where the authorities routinely "enforce" and
"ignorance" is absolubtely no defence) they look for the extra rubbish
that the "innocent" person has asked the dumper to get rid of at the
same time. I can remember one case of a council chap finding a carrier
bag in the middle of some prunings and almost gleefully producing an
addressed envelope.

Dream on!
Have you never cleared up after a hedge trim? If you had done any
decent amount of it, you'll remember that along with the trimmings
there will be bits of paper, flyers, parking tickets, newspapers,
sweet wrappings, shopping lists, letters, receipts and yes, even stray
stamped addressed envelops, therefore, "producing an addressed
envelops" provides no actual evidence and so producing it "gleefully"
is the act of a bit of an ignoramus.

I don't know the details but he told me later that
the culprit had admitted having their hedge lopped by someone and had
forked out over £1,000 as a result.

See there the point is "had admitted" ...

Yep, aquachimp. I've just finished chopping down a 3 metre x 6 metre
tall hedge (my own) and I found lots of stuff caught up in it. The
case I referred to was one where (luckily for my client) the
fly-tipping was on the council's side of the boundary. when the
Jobsworths find something with an address on it, they go there and
it's usually pretty obvious that a hedge (usually leylandii!!!!!) has
or has not been cut recently. So presumably they do "sort" the
associated rubbish. In this case there were a lot of black bags of
junk mixed in with the green stuff.

In one case, some fly-tipping on an estate I manage produced several
envelopes from a nearby address. I called at the address and, when the
houseowner confirmed that they had paid someone to remove stuff, gave
them the option of removing it from the estate or ... They removed it
and so problem solved. I prefer to try the low key approach but, at
the end of the day, why should my clients have to pay if I can
identify the source of the rubbish.

http://www.rivendell.org.uk coming soon