Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Is there an issue with individual.net (news.individual.net or mid.individual.net)?

In message , Jake
writes
This is technicalish, sorry, but may "interest" the non-technical
URGlers.

I've been playing with things following the earlier "Mixed Threads"
thread. I've set up a second computer using Outlook as its newsreader
and Giganews as the provider. My main PC uses Agent and Easynews.

The earlier "Mixed threads" thread went on about things getting
crossed, mislinked or disappearing altogether. Chris French and I had
some interesting differences of results which we both thought were
unexplainanble (I hope you agree with that Chris).

Yep.

David WE Roberts
suggested a possible link to [server].individual.net.

Possible, but I'm not convinced.

There was an assumption that Garden Banter was the problem but I think
we sort of dispensed with that argument. Is David right, though, in
suggesting that individual.net is the problem?

I'm not convinced it wasn't GB injecting different versions of the same
post into the Usenet system. The alternative seems to be a news server
re-writing the references header, which isn't that likely either.
However , to the point of your post really:

Another suggestion is
that "highwinds" is a problem but I haven't been able to tie anything
down with them.

I've no direct experience of Highwinds, but I do know that there have
been a number of complaints about their service.

Easynews and Virgin both use Highwinds as the backend AIUI.

I've noticed differences between the feeds of Easynews and Giganews
when the original posts are from individual.net.

It's not usual though for some posters to say that they haven't seen
some posts by other users, it's the nature of the way the news
propagates.

Today there have been
some postings from Bob Hobden and David WE Roberts in reply to a
"Repost due to wierd newsreader issue" where I thing DWER was the
original poster and something happened to a post via individual... Am
I right?

I've looked back at that (I never read it before) and nothing in the
posts via NIN looks unexpected too me - no missing posts showing up, all
are threaded as expected (note I use NIN and Turnpike)).

I have DWER's original post (the one he couldn't see in windows Mail,
but then could in Thunderbird - personally I think this is likely to be
an issue with Windows Mail or it's interaction with the news server
rather than any problem with NIN)

sent on Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:17:52

Turnpike shows there are 4 replies to that post.

I also have the message that DWER reposted by replying to his sent copy
on Sat 31 Jul 2010

This (and the 3 replies to it from) is shown here as a different thread
- this not unexpected for me as it doesn't have any references header -
replying to his sent copy didn't provide one presumably. (as it happens
Turnpike put the posts under a different thread with the same Subject
line started earlier in the week by Intel, but that just down to
turnpikes threading algorithm)

It does look and sound a bit of a mess :-) but all looks as it should
given the posting history. I can't say that NIN is showing anything up
odd to me.

--
Chris French