Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Informational

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

http://www.finegardening.com/plants/...den-myths.aspx

I'm sure any garden can find things to take exception to in this
article. Mostly the article makes errors of omission.

For example
Myth: Organic pesticides are less toxic than synthetic ones

I can't think of any organic pesticide that is as toxic as Sevin, but
the whole point of organic gardening is to avoid pesticides in the first
place, and that is done using Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Spraying
Milk Spore in the Fall is better than waiting until the following summer
and being tempted to use Sevin on Japanese beetles. Ladybugs will help
you control aphids with no sprays at all. Identify your problem first,
before treating it.

Myth: Add sand to loosen heavy, clay soil

If all you were going to do was add sand, the statement above would be
true, but garden soil is ideally, 30 - 40% silt, 30 - 40% sand, and 20 -
30% clay. This soil then needs 5 - 10% organic material.

I'm working what was originally heavy clay soil. I have added some sand
(maybe 10% of the top 12 inches) but by and large, I have found that
feeding the soil encourages the earthworms, and if you have earthworms,
you have garden soil.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude