Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Informational

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

http://www.finegardening.com/plants/...den-myths.aspx

"Myth: Organic pesticides are less toxic than synthetic ones
Truth:
Misused pesticides can be harmful, regardless of whether they are
considered natural or synthetic.

Pyrethrum, for example, is made from chrysanthemums but is still toxic
to people and pets when handled improperly.

Whenever possible, it's best to select the least toxic control option
available because, even if not lethal, many of these pesticides can
cause serious health complications. Safe storage of these products can
help prevent any harmful accidents. Read and follow all label
directions, and remember that these products are tools, not miracle
workers or silver bullets. Pesticides cannot correct mistakes made in
plant selection, installation, or maintenance."
Being Picky

I've found pyrethrum to be an excellent insecticide. That said I've
noticed that Pyrethrum is usually dissolved in xylene and combined
with rotenone.

1) Xylene is a human carcinogen.

2) Rotenone has a ongoing study for human effects like Parkinson's
disease.

But just pyrethrum

http://www.greenislanddistributors.c...600Xclude_MSDS
..pdf

Says slight #1 on all counts

I use it in my house sparingly along with Oil of pennyroyal used as a
deterrent.

Aside how are you new trees faring?

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden