Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Informational

On 8/2/2010 3:54 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

On 8/2/2010 2:35 PM, Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

http://www.finegardening.com/plants/...den-myths.aspx

I'm sure any garden can find things to take exception to in this
article. Mostly the article makes errors of omission.

For example
Myth: Organic pesticides are less toxic than synthetic ones

I can't think of any organic pesticide that is as toxic as Sevin, but
the whole point of organic gardening is to avoid pesticides in the first
place, and that is done using Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Spraying
Milk Spore in the Fall is better than waiting until the following summer
and being tempted to use Sevin on Japanese beetles. Ladybugs will help
you control aphids with no sprays at all. Identify your problem first,
before treating it.

Excellent lecture years ago by Bruce Ames. He pointed out that major
defense mechanism of plants are toxins. I know you are afraid of man
made chemicals but it's hard to beat toxicity of those in nature

At least natural toxins degrade, not so POPs: aldrin, chlordane, DDT,
dieldrin, endrin, heptachlor, hexachlorobenzene, mirex, polychlorinated
biphenyls, polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, polychlorinated
dibenzofurans, toxaphene, or (PAHs) carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons, and certain brominated flame-retardants, as well as some
organometallic compounds such as tributyltin (TBT).

The gift that keeps on giving. (Ger) das Gift ---- (Eng) Poison

Yes, they scare me, Frank, and if you had any sense at all, they would
scare you too.

None of these are currently sold. A good chemist knows how to handle
chemicals