Old 02-08-2010, 11:50 PM
AncientGardener AncientGardener is offline
Registered User

Location: Otley ,West Yorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony123hopki View Post
Hi

As I eat my way through this years summer veg I am thinking about the over-wintering situation.

I don't have enough space to both over winter some veg (which I would like to do), and dig in lots of well rotten manure and leave till spring.

I guess I could just chuck in loads of fertilizer, but I would rather not.

I have 3 beds, on a rotational system.

Any advice on how I can have my cake and eat it much appreciated.
You could do worse than sow some chard, spinach, rocket and also some of the 'oriental' veg like mizuma, pak choi. These will give you fresh greens late into the year. With a cloche covering they will survive all but the harshest weather too. Its not too late for kohl rabi either, spring cabbage and then what about garlic in october/november (for big bulbs next summer)?
Gardening Live!