Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default waiting for wood to dry to burn

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:32:22 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

If we left this heap to just sit there, how long before it would dry
enough so we could just burn it in a dustbin?

Why bother with a dustbin (by which I presume you mean a metal
dustbin like garden incinerator)?

Build a fire on the ground and get a decent bit of heat going and
it'll burn now. Might be worth leaving it a week or so so the leaves
burn when put on rather that produce smoke. You'll need some dryish
wood to get the initial fire and heat going. Cut what have into 2' or
so bits, ready to put only 3 or 4 on at a time.

Pay attention to the weather, don't have the fire on a scroching hot
still day when people will want their windows open, and look for
neighbours with washing hung out to dry...

--
Cheers
Dave.