Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Escargo Escargo is offline

Default waiting for wood to dry to burn

"john hamilton" wrote in
:

Having chopped down a vast laurel tree we are left with a huge
mountain of branches and leaves to dispose of. If we left this heap
to just sit there, how long before it would dry enough so we could
just burn it in a dustbin? Or would it take so long we just have to
face up to cutting it up and taking away to the local dump.

What we did last year with a load of Leylanii trees we cut down was to wait
for 5Nov and burn them on a big big bonfire.
Where I live it is illegal to bonfire, the exception is 5Nov. though I
think it is illegal even then but everyone cannot be prosecuted.
Another snag is the heat will be intense so keep it away from neighbours
property including wooden fences, windows, sheds etc.
Nothing is easy is it.

If you can be bothered you could compost the leaves to use in 2012

Sandra and Micky