Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Informational

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

http://www.finegardening.com/plants/...den-myths.aspx

I'm sure any garden can find things to take exception to in this
article. Mostly the article makes errors of omission.

For example
Myth: Organic pesticides are less toxic than synthetic ones

I can't think of any organic pesticide that is as toxic as Sevin, but
the whole point of organic gardening is to avoid pesticides in the first
place, and that is done using Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Spraying
Milk Spore in the Fall is better than waiting until the following summer
and being tempted to use Sevin on Japanese beetles. Ladybugs will help
you control aphids with no sprays at all. Identify your problem first,
before treating it.

"Myth: Organic pesticides are less toxic than synthetic ones"

Yes, it's a simplistic statement. But the average consumer is pretty dumb,
and they fall for that comment. A friend of mine is having problems with
ants in the house. Two exterminators told her they use a product which "is
made from chrysanthemums". She liked that idea. It made her smile. Of
course, the distant relative of the product (a synthetic pyrethroid whose
name I don't have handy at the moment) originally came from flowers 40+
years ago. But not the actual product they sold her.

I didn't say a word to her. It's not worth the effort any more. Was this
stuff as dangerous as banned products we used to use 40 years ago? Probably
not. Is it safe? Nobody can know, and nobody will ever know.