Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Default Add Topsoil Or Mix Manure/Compost With Existing Soil?

My soil has virtually no organic content, so I add compost or manure to
improve it. This is in addition to fertilizing. Chemical fertilizers
do nothing to improve inorganic soil.

It is important to remember that compost often is relatively deficient
in nitrogen. You may need to add nitrogen, perhaps by also adding the
freshest manure you can find. The fresher it is, the more nitrogen it
has.

What is your soil like?

Una