Old 04-08-2010, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Add Topsoil Or Mix Manure/Compost With Existing Soil?

Gary Brown wrote:
Hi,

I am terracing a slope on our yard. I am unsure whether to put
in topsoil or just mix manure or compost into the existing soil.
Wouldn't the latter allow a higher concentration of plant
matter?

It depends on the existing composition of your soil. If it is well balanced
and you just want to increase the volume add a good loam. If it is not
balanced add whatever is missing in greater amounts.

Also, I will need to temporarily move some plants while
terracing. What is best to do with those plants until
replanted?

It depends on what the plants are. The treatment (and whether it is
sensible to even try it) will vary with size and type.

Who is doing this work? How has the drainage been handled?

David