Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Escargo Escargo is offline

Default waiting for wood to dry to burn

harry wrote in
:

On 3 Aug, 09:32, "john hamilton" wrote:
Having chopped down a vast laurel tree we are left with a huge
mountain o

branches and leaves to dispose of. * If we left this heap to just sit

here,
how long before it would dry enough so we could just burn it in a
dustbin

?
Or would it take so long we just have to face up to cutting it up and
tak

ing
away to the local dump.

I have a shredder. Best thing I ever bought. I have long native
hedges. Everything goes in the shredder and is used as mulch or
composted. If it's too big for the shredder, it goes in my wood store
for the wood stove.

Would love a shredder but with a young family, mortgage, car etc. it is
something in the future.
Smaller garden stuff like broad bean stalks, cabbage leaves, and that kind
of stuff can be run over with the lawnmower to make it compost quicker, it
really works well but the mower needs to be up to the job ie: quite
powerful.
Give it a go and you will see what I mean.

Sandra and Micky