Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default New garden question

On Aug 4, 4:05*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
wrote in message

I have an area 5' x 45' along side my garage. I just added about 6" of Top
Soil to level. I want to plant tomatoes there next year because gets lot
of
hours of sun. Anyway my question is what to do with this area till next
spring. I was thinking to plant an annual red clover "cover crop" *Would
this be good Idea? If so should I plant now or wait till fall? I am in
central Michigan zone 5.

Why not do all the normal maintenance that's typical of mid-summer
(mulching, weeding), but plant stuff that'll mature in autumn, like
broccoli, collards, chard, lettuce, etc? Use lawn clippings as mulch, if you
have a bagging attachment for your mower.

And for the best of both worlds, put in some peas that will be
delicious in Fall (better than Spring crops, for my money) and also
fix nitrogen.

Chris