Old 05-08-2010, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default New garden question

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
I have an area 5' x 45' along side my garage. I just added about 6"
of Top Soil to level. I want to plant tomatoes there next year
because gets lot of
hours of sun. Anyway my question is what to do with this area till
next spring. I was thinking to plant an annual red clover "cover
crop" Would this be good Idea? If so should I plant now or wait
till fall? I am in central Michigan zone 5.

Why not do all the normal maintenance that's typical of mid-summer
(mulching, weeding), but plant stuff that'll mature in autumn, like
broccoli, collards, chard, lettuce, etc? Use lawn clippings as
mulch, if you have a bagging attachment for your mower.

This would be my plan.

David

If there's an early frost and none of it works, he's out what - $7.37
for seeds?

Many of those will survive quite a bit of frost anyway

Uzzactly.