Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New raspberries question

In article , wrote:

The latter. Raspberries (and most semi-woody rubi) crop on the
previous year's growth, which dies off in the following winter.
Cut them out now, and you will get no crop next year, though
you won't kill the plant.

See, I am confused by this. You've said this before last time someone
asked, and this is not my experience.

Last winter after they had a late crop, Nick cut out raspberries right down
almost to the ground. They are currently fruiting quite vigorously.
They're definitely cropping on this year's growth!

As someone pointed out, there are autumn-fruiting varieties. They
were introduced a few decades back, and are still not the norm.
But, yes, I had forgotten about them.

There are also rubi where the stems last longer than 2 years - I
have a blackberry like that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.