Old 06-08-2010, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Stokes[_2_] David Stokes[_2_] is offline

Default What Stage Should Sweet Corn Be At?

David Stokes wrote in
.145:

Someone gave me a few sweetcorn plants that were surplus to their
requirements. I've planted them but as with most surplus plants they
probably went in a bit later than optimum.
They have grown well and the one flower on each are just beginning to
show but not yet open. I don't know whether they are too late to
produce crops and so dig them up?
What stage should they be at?

DAvy

Now that I know a little more about sweetcorn I can add that it is only the
male flowers at the top that are visible (but not yet open). The female
flowers, from which the cobs develop, are not yet visible at all.

I live in Wessex and it is raining - I am very pessimistic that I am going
to see any ripe cobs.

DAvy