Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default New raspberries question

The latter. Raspberries (and most semi-woody rubi) crop on the
previous year's growth, which dies off in the following winter.
Cut them out now, and you will get no crop next year, though
you won't kill the plant.

Apart from autumn-fruiting raspberries, which you cut down in February,
and they throw out vigorous canes which fruit the same year. But there's
a trick you can do...got a note somewhere...hang on...yes, here we a

On GQT, 11 Feb '07, Seabrook said that with Autumn Bliss, you could
prune down only as far as the last fruiting shoot (taking about a thrid
off), in spring (I guess he meant late February). You then get a crop in
June, after which you cut right down in the conventional manner, and it
will fruit again in August. I've never tried this, ...

The stool will, if it has new growth in current year. The one you cut out,
of course can't fruit :-)

This procedure works. Every year, in my 15 year old autumn fruiting patch,
I leave any good unfruited canes, and prune off the tops of any
that have only fruited near the top. These give me a crop in late
June/July, then a fruiting gap until aprox mid august when this years
canes start to fruit and continue till November or even later.

Jim