Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Two questions- Asiatic Lilies and Persimmon trees

On Aug 4, 6:56*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 4, 3:32*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:

On Aug 2, 4:56 pm, Chris wrote:
Hi all

I just got some Asiatic Lilies and put them in today. Very pretty
plants. I was wondering, though- will they spread? There were 3 stems
per pot, and I got 3 pots, and spaced them about 11 inches apart
(little card said 7-9 inch spacing, but I always take that with a
grain of salt).

They will "spread", but not like daylilies. *Each bulb (corm) will
multiply so that in a few years your 3 stems will be more. *They
won't travel far from the original so if you want them to fill in an
area, you'll have to transplant some of the bulbs when they form. *They
don't bush out, the leaves grow only along the stems so while they
flowers are prettier, in my opinion, than daylilies, they don't fill in
your planting area as well.

gloria p

I put three in last year. *They are SO beautiful, I wish they would
bloom longer.
Two of them have made pups. *I posted a question earlier about when to
separate out the pups
and replant them. *Could *somebody remind me on that? * This is a mild
Mediterranean climate
with not much "winter" (So. Calif coastal). *Do I have to wait until
the leaves fall and plant "dies",
or what? *Would really value your experience, esp. if in similar
climate.

TIA

Hypatia

Gentle reminder: Waiting for input from people who have transplanted
pups.
See above message from moi, and pls. share your experience.
TIA

H.