Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Allen Smith

Default Oyster shells

You refer to food grade Ca & Mg tablets. What is the suggested dosage
range when using them per 10 gallons? I can easily obtain them and it
is cheaper for me to use, and I would rather not use Oyster shells as
it seems as an incosistent way to dose. I was previously using Epsom
Salts for Mg, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the plants.

For reference 3 quick dissolving tablets I have now contain 1000mg Ca,
and 400mg Mg. Converting that into how much I should put into water
causes me a lot of problems as I'm not a math person. If you have a
suggestion, it would be very appreciated.

Another source for both Calcium and Magnesium is Dolomite (Calcium Magnesium
Carbonate - CaMgCO3). You can pick up "food grade" Calcium & Magnesium
Tablets at the drug store in the vitamin and mineral supplement section.
Look for a brand that has no additives or artificial sweetners added
(usually, the generic brands are the best).

James Purchase
Toronto