Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donnie[_2_] Donnie[_2_] is offline

Default New chickens - first egg!

wrote:

One very small egg, the same size as the bantams normally lay, but
much much darker. I'm guessing it's from the nera, as it's not
speckled, and I think speckledy Mo should be laying speckled eggs. I
presume they will get progressively larger as she gets established.

Congrats, its great when they do this, we've had 3 hens in our eglu for
about 3-4 months now and they are great, they're 9 months old and
laying lovely and ones a bova nera, (dark brown egg, occasionally there
are speckles on it too)

Oddly, bluebell seems to be laying slightly speckley eggs atm,
although Nick thinks it's to do with the grit she's eating, and
nothing to worry about. I need to try not to think too much about
the relationship between what a chicken eats and the eggs we get, it
makes me feel slightly less egg-friendly at times. :-/

Good advice LOL, in fact what's worse than this is when you're Golden
Retriever is being friendly and licks your face after just coming in
from the garden, and you notice that the chicken poo you were going to
clean up a minute ago has dissappeared!!
--
Donnie