Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More courgette uses

On 08/08/2010 21:33, Janet wrote:

They make a nice salad, cut in (raw) julienne strips and dressed.
Yesterday J made a spaghetti lunch dish topped with grated courgette,
lemon zest and nuts ( fried lightly in butter).
Last week he made an excellent savoury courgett bread (can't remember
who posted the recipe, might have been you)
and I made courgette chocolate cake.
We have given away mountains of courgettes; last weekend our garden
was openfor charity and I managed to fob off bags of them to the
visitors. Tomorrow, my courgettes are entering a complicated three way
barter involving courgettes, a dog sit and blackcurrants...
the glut continues

We tried the courgette bread based on the recipe someone gave on this
group, however spouse adapted it for her bread machine. The result was
OK. Not spectacular. It didn't rise as much as her usual bread and was
consequently a bit heavy. It did toast nice though with a sprinkling of
grated cheese on top to make a tasty savoury bread. Maybe it needed more
yeast or sugar to make it rise more?

This year I planted 5 courgette plants grown from seed. They have now
reached the point of running away from us and all are creating marrows
that will simply end up on the compost heap. It's a shame but there are
only so many courgettes one can eat or give away. The freezer is full of
frozen chopped courgettes too.

Can fully grown marrows be kept over Winter? The last time I tried they
turned to mush - but they probably caught a frost being stored in the
garage.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.