Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default More courgette uses

David in Normandy wrote:
1) Apple, blackberry and courgette pie!
We had a few windfall apples, not enough to make a pie but by including
some courgettes chopped and treated the same as the apples they made a
pleasant inclusion in the pie. The courgettes were almost tasteless as
such and just picked up the taste of the blackberries. Their texture was
virtually identical to that of the apple. Ratio about twice the weight
of apple to courgettes.

Ooh, now that's an interesting idea. What kind of size courgette did you
use to get apple texture? I've found the overgrown ones that I have trouble
disposing of are a bit watery, I suspect they would turn to mush in a pie.
But with some blackberry (or blackcurrant!) and cinammon, that may work.

2) Raw!
I'd just read online that courgettes can be eaten raw and are often used
in salads etc. I've just sat and eaten a whole one - eating it like a
long apple, skin and all. Slightly nutty flavour. Not particularly sweet
but not sour either. Apparently quite nutritious and very low in
calories. Cheaper and more healthy than my usual evening snack of a bag
of crisps. Quite filling too. Even the dogs came to investigate and
shared a few morsels of it with me!

I've tried the occasional nibble of raw courgette before, but it's not a
taste I'm fond of. On the whole I'm not a big fan of any raw veg. Tends to
give me indigestion.

Now, if you can do a similar study on what I can do with this glut of
slightly over-ripe raspberries ...