Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete[_9_] Pete[_9_] is offline

Default More courgette uses

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
am says...

1) Apple, blackberry and courgette pie!
We had a few windfall apples, not enough to make a pie but by including
some courgettes chopped and treated the same as the apples they made a
pleasant inclusion in the pie. The courgettes were almost tasteless as
such and just picked up the taste of the blackberries. Their texture was
virtually identical to that of the apple. Ratio about twice the weight
of apple to courgettes.

2) Raw!
I'd just read online that courgettes can be eaten raw and are often used
in salads etc. I've just sat and eaten a whole one - eating it like a
long apple, skin and all. Slightly nutty flavour. Not particularly sweet
but not sour either. Apparently quite nutritious and very low in
calories. Cheaper and more healthy than my usual evening snack of a bag
of crisps. Quite filling too. Even the dogs came to investigate and
shared a few morsels of it with me!

They make a nice salad, cut in (raw) julienne strips and dressed.
Yesterday J made a spaghetti lunch dish topped with grated courgette,
lemon zest and nuts ( fried lightly in butter).
Last week he made an excellent savoury courgett bread (can't remember
who posted the recipe, might have been you)
and I made courgette chocolate cake.
We have given away mountains of courgettes; last weekend our garden
was openfor charity and I managed to fob off bags of them to the
visitors. Tomorrow, my courgettes are entering a complicated three way
barter involving courgettes, a dog sit and blackcurrants...
the glut continues

Janet.

And today we have given 8 (which had become marrows) to our local
pub/restaurant. It begs the question: why do we all keep growing them?! I
keep saying I won't grow them again but there is something rather satisfying
in the glut that we get

Jeanne