Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default CAM/C3 Photosynthesis with waterplants

Adriaan Briene wrote:
This would mean those plants would store CO2 at night and use the stored CO2
for the photosynthesis proces at daylight.

According to Diana Walstad some water plants convert CO2 at night into
malate, which is used during the day to generate CO2 for photosynthesis.
She also says this strategy is not as common in aquatic plants as it is in
terrestrial ones. ("The Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" pp. 96-97)

--
Victor M. Martinez | The University of Texas at Austin
| Department of Chemical Engineering
http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv | Austin, TX 78712
If we knew what we were doing it would not be called research, would it?