Old 09-08-2010, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Artificial light for outdoor tomatoes?

In article , says...

How about this (I am making this up as I go along, never tried it) Could
the light intensity be enhanced cheaply with mirrors? I am thinking of an
arrangement on the three sides not facing the sun that would reflect on to
the plants. Maybe even a curved panel behind the plants. Not glass which
is always expensive but aluminium foil laid over (say) cardboard or whatever
is laying about. Or maybe thick plastic sheet like used for real estate
signs (called coreflute here) painted with silver paint. It would cost very
little and last long enough to find out if something more permanent is
worthwhile.

A bit late for this but it may trigger a thought or two for the OP.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...t=2,2300,33272

I would bet a diffused light would be better than concentrated, esp.
with a curved surface (shades of tomato sauce on the vine).

The best thing that could be done is to open a slot by cutting off the
limbs at, or beyond the property line.

I'm doing that right now to limit certain certain trees' drip line and
root system and keep as much shade as possible off a couple of gardens
and two apple trees (and to forestall an early snowfall like we had two
years ago taking down trees and power lines).