Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jill Bell[_3_] Jill Bell[_3_] is offline

Default Order to eat things

On 08/08/2010 21:49, wrote:
An odd question, I think, but if you're picking your various crops and you
have more than you can eat in one go (which I'm currently getting with
courgettes and raspberries and it's on the ever-closing-in horizon with the
beans) ... next time you pick fresh, do you tend to eat the freshest you
picked, with the worry that the earlier stuff will probably go past edible,
or do you eat up the earlier stuff first, where you then end up with lots of
mediocre not-so-fresh-but-edible stuff?
Or am I just the most disorganised person around, and everyone else is
keeping up with eating and freezing as required?

Definitely eat the freshest stuff first and worry about the already
picked stuff if necessary - after all you've got to have something to
feed the chucks with! The best thing about grow your own is tasting the
really fresh taste that you never get from supermarket stuff! Last
night's courgette (well it was almost a marrow!!) was delicious, sliced
and roasted with some sweet chilli sauce.
Jill