Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Order to eat things

On 09/08/2010 10:13, kay wrote:

But reading the courgette thread in particular, I can't help wondering -
wouldn't it be easier just to plant fewer plants?

I grow them from seed and plant enough to allow for germination
failures. Then there is the risk of a slug or snail eating the heart out
of the young seedlings. Finally once they are in the garden there is the
danger of a late frost hitting them or cropping suddenly coming to an
end due to mosaic virus appearing. Since I've effectively got unlimited
space for growing vegetables I'd sooner have too many and put surplus on
the compost heap than not have enough. Same with the brassicas - there
are usually far more than we can eat or give away - except for this year
and they have done terribly, possibly due to the lack of rain. The
courgettes get hand watered to keep them going but I can't do that with
everything in the veg garden.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.