Old 09-08-2010, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Order to eat things

Dave Hill wrote:
I am amazed at all this talk of wasting so much "Surplus" food,
Doesn't anyone have friends, neighbours who wouls appreciate some
"Eresh" fruit and veg, also one or 2 local OAP's, then there is
freezing, salting and jam and chutney making.

A lot of my problem at the moment is lack of time. I went to do a job on
the allotment yesterday morning. I was distracted by something else that
had to be done. Then I had to go elsewhere, and only got back by about 6.
Then I got distracted by something else that was more urgent (raspberries
had suddenly started cropping heavily and were starting to rot on the
plant!). By the time it was getting dark enough for insects to start feasting on me (and I'd already had to phone home to tell Nick to feed the children,
as it was after 7 and he never remembers if I'm not there to do it!) there
was no time to do the job that I'd originally gone out to do. I have about
6 of those 'really urgent must be done today' jobs lined up now, and every
time I go to do one, something else goes to the head of the urgent queue
instead.

If your courgets are to many then let some grow into marrows, when
properly ripe they will last well into the winter.

Which is a nice idea, but then they would never get eaten. :-)

I always keep my best peas and beens on the plant to ripen for next
years seed( on this subjuec I use a blue flower spray to mark the pods
I am keeping so that they dont get picked by accident).

Ooh, now that's a good idea. I've never seen such a thing before, where do
you buy it from?