Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Order to eat things

On 09/08/2010 16:36, Janet wrote:
In articlebf1cff4a-3eee-4e96-bd1f-
,
says...

I am amazed at all this talk of wasting so much "Surplus" food,
Doesn't anyone have friends, neighbours who wouls appreciate some
"Eresh" fruit and veg, also one or 2 local OAP's,

If I can give surplus away I do (and have). However, I live in a rural
area, where its the nature of gluts that local growers all have the same
excess at the same time, are all trying to give it away at the same
time..if they can find a recipient.I'm always shocked how many people
won't accept or eat fresh veg from the garden because they either, don't
recognise them, or don't know how to prepare them.

In the last few weeks I've had the following refusals from OAP
neighbours;

" We don't like courgettes; what are they?"
" I wouldn't know how to cook them"
"My husband won't eat anything green or foreign".
I offered the latter person some perfect new potatoes and she replied
"he won't eat anything with dirt on it, either".

I've had similar responses from people, surprisingly some pensioners who
lived through food shortages during the war. One old lady refused to eat
any of my fresh home grown greens because they had the odd caterpillar
hole or similar damage. She preferred to buy perfect looking but
pesticide ridden limp greens from the supermarket.

I too have had people turn up their noses at root vegetables because
they had traces of soil on them! Some people are really bizarre!

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.