Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Order to eat things

On 9 Aug, 18:13, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave Hill" *wrote

I am amazed at all this talk of wasting so much "Surplus" food,
Doesn't anyone have friends, neighbours who wouls appreciate some
"Eresh" fruit and veg, also one or 2 local OAP's, then there is
freezing, salting *and jam and chutney making.
If your courgets are to many then let some grow into marrows, when
properly ripe they will last well into the winter.
I always keep my best peas and beens on the plant to ripen for next
years seed( on this subjuec I use a blue flower spray to mark the pods
I am keeping so that they dont get picked by accident).
With runner beans I do 2 sowings, with the 2nd sowing end of June/
early July so that they *will crop almost till the frost.

We give some to family/friends but none of them live close so do I drive
them there? If I do I put up the cost of MY veg so it's a lot cheaper and
easier to return them from whence they came, the soil, if we aren't going to
see them anyway.
Neighbours do take some, but Runner Beans, for example, are a British veg so
only two households would eat those.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

The drought set my beans back so none for about another week and 2nd
lot are just showing the first flowers.
Looking in Tesco today they had packs of Value Beans for 45p BUT the
pack was just 3 beans, Kilo price was £4.00 and they were from Kenya.
The Spray for marking pods etc
Oasis flower colour, ask your friendly florist or find a wholesale
florist. must be cheaper than ordering on line
http://www.onlinepackagingshop.co.uk...ay-colour.html
David Hill