Old 20-04-2003, 06:12 AM
Sharon Frey

Default Malaysian Trumpet Snails - Keeping them alive?

(Allen Smith) wrote in message . com...
How do people manage to keep these things alive?

I've tried in 2 out of my 3 tanks and they have consistently failed to
thrive. They sometimes manage to hang on there for up 2 weeks, but
they always end up dead.

I've been following this thread and have read every post.

All that has been said before about snail as food is right on.

Now, what I know from reading this newsgroup and personal experience
is: The Malaysian Trumpet Snail is a burrower. It burrows in our
substrates to find shelter and tidbits to munch. It also somehow
procreates in that same substrate.
Thus the MTS is the earthworm of it's aquatic world.

Thus, if MTS don't have a burrow into friendly to them substrate, will
they survive?

Plecosaur/Allen, Onyx Sand by Seachem doesn't seem to me to be an MTS
home of choice. Rest assured I bought Seachem black Onyx sand, tested
same and used a little. I found my culture of MTS at a LFS that
didn't have a clue what they were and were appalled that "those"
snails were climbing the walls of their newly set aquaria with half
inch pebble gravel.

Hoping I haven't overstayed my MTS welcome this is what I know from
many hours of research and personal experience.

MTS procreate in a substrate that supports their life habitat ...
substrate burrowers. They aerate submerged soils / substrates and love
doing it. All they ask is for an organically active substrate.

In my book: What more could you ask for? A snail that doesn't eat
anything and only asks to burrow into and aerate and clean the aquatic
plants substrate and procreates like crazy until it (the MTS colony)
finds it's right balance.

If any want to more about Malaysian Trumpet Snails and their
contribution to planted aquaria I strongly suggest you ask Chuck Gadd.

My bottom line: If the substrate supports MTS. MTS will thrive.

Hope I helped.

Sharon