Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default New chickens - first egg!

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Although on the slight down side, Nick has just found an infestation
of red
spider mite thingies, and has nipped out to see what he can do with
them.
Don't know if they came in with the 2 new birds, or if they were
already
there (or if they've come in from the wild since the new ones).

You'll need to dust the hens with an appropriate insecticide
(especially in the "armpits" under their wings)

~That is pointless against red mite. They hide in the crevices of your
henhouse, come out overnight to feast on hens and are back before you are
up.

When the mites come out at night,to bite the roosting chicken that has
been dusted, the mites will die. That was the advice of our vet

That has not been my experience. Redmites need serious insecticide