Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default New raspberries question

On 2010-08-06, Mike Lyle wrote:
Jim Jackson wrote:
This procedure works. Every year, in my 15 year old autumn fruiting
patch, I leave any good unfruited canes, and prune off the tops of any
that have only fruited near the top. These give me a crop in late
June/July, then a fruiting gap until aprox mid august when this years
canes start to fruit and continue till November or even later.

Good news. I want to have a go. But I'm not quite clear: do you cut the
June-fruited canes down to the ground as in Seabrook's method? Or are
you saying that it's /those/ canes which fruit from August onward?

Cane that have fruited do not fruit again. So those that fruit in
June/July, I cut down. The canes that fruit in Autumn are the new canes
that grow alongside them.

I don't allow many canes to remain when I do the Jan/Feb prune back -
less than an average of one cane per stool. I find that some stools
have several canes that hardly fruit in the autumn, and others fruit all
the way down the canes. I have a bed of "normal" summer raspberries as
well.

cheers
Jim