Old 09-08-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default waiting for wood to dry to burn

In article ,
Spider wrote:

All right, Nick, I take your point! However, years ago when I watched
Towering Inferno for the third time, I remember the Fire Chief fiercely
discussing the presence of golf balls, which apparantly contain cyanide,
and his belief in their ability to seriously inflame the situation.
(Well, yes, pun intended!).

What about that then? More extraterrrestrial mumbo-jumbo? :~))

Yes and no - as usual, it's all a matter of proportion! If there
is enough of the cyanogenic material that the fire will not burn
it all, then it can happen. The odd golf ball isn't an issue,
but a shipping container full of them might be.

It's much like cow slop in waterways - a little of it does no
harm whatsoever, but too much causes eutrophication.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.