Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default New raspberries question

On 2010-08-06, Mike Lyle wrote:
Jim Jackson wrote:
This procedure works. Every year, in my 15 year old autumn fruiting
patch, I leave any good unfruited canes, and prune off the tops of
any that have only fruited near the top. These give me a crop in
late June/July, then a fruiting gap until aprox mid august when
this years canes start to fruit and continue till November or even
later.

Good news. I want to have a go. But I'm not quite clear: do you cut
the June-fruited canes down to the ground as in Seabrook's method?
Or are you saying that it's /those/ canes which fruit from August
onward?

Cane that have fruited do not fruit again. So those that fruit in
June/July, I cut down. The canes that fruit in Autumn are the new
canes that grow alongside them.

I thought so. Thank you. That's the Seabrook method; but you never know
with gardening --always a toss-up whether ancient wisdom still holds
good, or, "Blow me down if these 'ere new-fangled notions ain't roight
after all!"
[...]

--
Mike.