Old 10-08-2010, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
EVP MAN EVP MAN is offline

Default Cantaloupes Lacking Sweetness ???

This was my first season growing muskmelons and I decided on Hale's
Best. My crop was good averaging five melons per plant BUT in my
opinion, the melons could have been a whole lot sweeter. I'm not sure
if I chose to grow the right mellon or if there is something I could
have done to improve the sweetness of the fruit. Next year I will also
grow Honey Rock and Super Star which is a hybrid. Any advice or ideas
on growing good sweet muskmelons? My soil was well fertilized and
amended with compost. Used soaker hoses and gave plants 1 1/2" of water
weekly.

Rich from PA Zone 5-6