Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Caterpillar on clethra alnifolia wiping it out!

Dan said:

Small 1/4" long black caterpillar wiping out the leaves of two new
shrubs I purchased 6 weeks ago. The caterpillars looks very similar
to the virburnum leaf beetle larvae that have decimated the highbush
cranberries around here (this is zone 5 microclimate in northwest NJ).
However, they are black instead of the whitish color of the VLB larva.

The c. alnifolia plants were fresh and vibrant when I got them from
Edge of the Woods Nursery in Allentown, PA. The caterpillars have
wiped out the new bright-green growth to the stems (similar to
virburnum leaf beetle damage) and are now attacking the older
dark-green growth. Fresh growth is sprouting, but the caterpillars
are quickly attacking and destroying it.

Could be sawfly larvae. Sawflies, scale and spidermites are the only
pests I recall being mentioned for Clethra.

A gallary of sawfly larvae photos:
http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/sawfly_larvae
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored