Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

In article , RPS
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Nothing wrong with starting out with tools that you will have to
replace latter. I favor Japanese hand tools for esthetics and comfort.
Mine have square wooden heads not round (boasting).

That said http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/index.aspx has
many options I went with the gone Smith& Hawkins that carried Bulldog
tools. As you can see it is a jungle out here.

Sometimes if lucky in a public garden or nursery you can find some
codgers that love speaking and sharing gardening lore without commercial
interests just know by experience and for some reason ant to share it.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org