Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
fran fran is offline

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

I have tried a variety of tools over time, so here's a few nuggets -
If you are not of "average" size, I recommend that you handle the
tools at the store a bit before buying - you will get a feel for how a
tool works with your body size. I know, because I am short and have
small hands, so I have to do this all the time. Then I'll go see if I
can get it cheaper on-line.

One tool I highly recommend is what is called a short or small shovel
- looks like a shovel for a dwarf, but is as sturdy as a regular
shovel. They are great for when you need a shovel, are down on your
knees beside the bed, and using a regular shovel won't do the job as
the handle will be too long for leverage (trust me, you will be in
this position routinely). I got one as a gift about 6 or 7 years ago,
and have really appreciated it.

Another tool - long handled by-pass loppers - they will be very handy
reaching up high, getting into the middle of bushes, and can cut
larger branches that regular pruners. Mine are made by Fiskar.

This should get you started

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:48:54 -0500, RPS wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.