Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default New chickens - first egg!

Christina Websell wrote:
It's my first try with 50% dettol solution, seem to be working.

Nick just did a late night blitz with the steam cleaner then neem oiled the
birds and the nest box again. Apparently all 6 are trying to force their
way into the little daytime 'nest' in the main run.

Yes, the plan is to take the whole thing apart and to steam clean and/or
dettol (I think Nick said Jeyes fluid, actually, but I guess they have the
same effect!)

No, no, no. Never Jeyes Fluid. It's very toxic for animals and birds.

Presumably the idea was to wash it off afterwards. But I shall pass it on.

He /says/ he couldn't see any after the steam cleaning (and it's been
getting so bad they've been swarming out in the daylight!). I guess now we
wait and see after a few days if there's any more hatching out.

Ick, I'm all itchy again now!