Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 8/11/10 2:25 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"David E. Ross" wrote in message
.. .
On 8/11/10 12:42 PM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"RPS" wrote in message
I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

I've always found Fiskar pruning shears work more smoothly than any
other
brand. Definitely worth the money.

This tool won't make sense until you own one:
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/horihoriknife.html

It's absolutely the single most useful garden tool I've ever owned.
Mine's
25 years old. Great for digging, weeding, and the serrated edge can cut
through thick roots underground. I've never sharpened mine. There's no
need
to. It's the shape of the thing that makes it so functional.

That's not the only source for these knives. Search on eBay using some
or
all of the words "japanese hori hori weeder knife" and you may find it
little cheaper.

Incidentally, from a distance, the knife looks ominous when held in the
hand. I believe it may have been a handy visual aid when I needed to
educate
moron dog owners who didn't understand the words "not here, please". A
pitch
fork is better for this purpose, but you can't carry one on your belt.

Instead of spending $34 plus shipping, I use a plain paring knife that I
bought at the local supermarket for less than $10. Before buying it, I
checked (1) that the blade is quite stiff and (2) that the tang of the
blade extends the length of the handle. This serves quite well for
weeding and edging the lawn. I do sharpen it with a whetstone when I
use it for making cuttings of perennials and shrubs.

How long is the blade of that paring knife?

4-1/2 inches

In that case, you're comparing apples with space shuttles. Stop being silly.